Rapist Jailed For Fife Attacks

1 May 2015, 14:37

A rapist who abused seven women during a 16 year reign of terror has been given a life sentence.

Gerry McMurray - who attacked his victims at addresses in Fife - has been told that he may never be released from prison.

McMurray returned to the dock after being convicted last year of a string of horrifying attacks that left his victims fearing for the lives.

The High Court in Glasgow heard how the 35 year-old's continued denials of the crimes were branded 'distorted' and 'pathological' by those compiling pre-sentencing reports.

Lady Wise imposed an Order for Lifelong Restriction (OLR) for what she called an 'appalling course of criminal conduct'.

The judge also told McMurray that he must serve a minimum eight and a half years behind bars.

But, McMurray will only be freed when if it is deemed safe enough to put him back on the streets.

The thug showed no remorse as he was lead to cells by smirking and laughing at one of his victims, who had turned up to see him jailed.

The woman broke down in tears after the hearing and had to be comforted by friends and family.

McMurray preyed on the woman at various addresses across Fife between 1997 and 2013.

He battered and raped his first victim before indecently assaulting a second woman.

She was also punched, kicked and stabbed with a fork.

A third woman then suffered at the hands of McMurray, whose brutal assault left her so terrified she jumped out a window to escape.

His next petrified victim was raped after being smacked with a dumb bell. He later tried to choke her before sexually assaulting her again.

McMurray battered another woman and then later savagely beat a sixth victim who escaped only by climbing down scaffolding.

McMurray's campaign of abuse continued until the summer of 2013 when he raped his final victim.

But, the sex attacker was finally brought to justice when the women summoned up the courage to testify against him.

He was convicted last October at the High Court in Edinburgh of 14 charges including rape, abduction and sexual assault.

The case had been repeatedly adjourned to determine whether an OLR should be imposed.