On Air Now
Early Breakfast with James Stewart 4am - 6:30am
27 May 2016, 12:21
A 14-year-old schoolgirl who died after falling ill during a PE lesson has been named locally as Kiera Beagle.
The second-year pupil was airlifted to hospital from Calderhead High School in Shotts, North Lanarkshire, at about 2.30pm on Thursday but died a short time later.
Flowers have been left at the gates of Calderhead in tribute and the school said pupils will be able to use counselling services over the bank holiday weekend.
A fundraising page set up by local DJ James Allan has raised more than £1,400, which he said would go to ``help her family in any way it can''.
Headteacher John Robertson said: ''Everyone within our school community is shocked and deeply saddened by the death of one of our S2 pupils.
''At this time all our thoughts and sympathy go out to her family and friends.
''We will provide our young people at Calderhead with our full support to help them at this most difficult time.''
Emergency services were called to the school at about 2.30pm and the 14-year-old was airlifted to the Royal Hospital for Sick Children in Glasgow where she died.
Police Scotland are treating the death as unexplained.
A spokeswoman for the force said: ''We can confirm that around 2.25pm, police and other emergency services were called to a report of a 14-year-old girl having taken unwell in Calderhead High School, Shotts.
''The girl was being taken by heli-med to the Royal Hospital for Sick Children for treatment. Sadly, she died shortly afterwards.
''The death is being treated as unexplained, however there are not believed to be any suspicious circumstances.
''A post-mortem will be carried out in due course to establish the exact cause of death and a report will be submitted to the procurator fiscal.''
Airdrie and Shotts MSP Alex Neil said he was "shocked'' at the death. He added: "My thoughts are with her family and friends.''
A spokesman for North Lanarkshire Council said: ''A 14-year-old pupil at Calderhead High School, Shotts, was taken ill during a sports lesson this afternoon.
''Staff called the emergency services and she was taken to hospital in Glasgow where, sadly, she died shortly afterwards.''