Trio Sentenced For Edinburgh Murder

24 July 2015, 18:22 | Updated: 24 July 2015, 18:34

Three men have been given life sentences for the murder of a man in Edinburgh last year.

James Watson, 27, Paul Watson, 29, and Gary Sim, 32, appeared before the High Court in Edinburgh today in connection with the death of Thomas Lamb.

Mr Lamb was found on Restalrig Circus on September 20 having been attacked and beaten.

All three initially denied killing Mr Lamb but detectives from Police Scotland's Major Investigation Team carried out significant enquiry before arresting and charging them with his murder.

They were found guilty following a three-week trial and will serve a minimum of 20 years in prison.

The court heard James Watson had been released from a five year sentence just a week before it happened.

On September 19 last year, he, his brother Paul, and pal Gary Sim, went to the Tor pub in Restalrig Road.

They had gone there to celebrate Watson winning back his liberty.

But once there, Sim assaulted Mr Lamb.

Later in the evening they confronted Mr Lamb again in the street at Restalrig Circus.

Residents heard the men shouting during the horrific attack.

One witness told the high court that she heard one of the attackers say "will I finish him off?"

At the same time, the court heard how the three men had kicked and jumped on Mr Lamb's head before repeatedly striking him on the body with a garden fork and knife.

Their victim had recently celebrated his birthday and prosecutors haven't been able to establish a motive for the crime.

Detective Chief Inspector Keith Hardie of Police Scotland's Major Investigation Team, said: "The murder of Thomas Lamb was a senseless and brutal attack.

"All three of the men had tried to deny killing Mr Lamb but thanks to the hard work of the officers involved in this investigation we were able to provide overwhelming evidence of their guilt.

"Throughout this investigation Mr Lamb’s family have shown tremendous courage and my thoughts are with them today."