WATCH: Murder Detectives Name Glasgow Shooting Victim

10 July 2017, 15:03 | Updated: 10 July 2017, 15:05

Update From Murder Detectives Following Glasgow Shooting


Police have named a man who was murdered during a massive brawl near a children's playpark.

Jamie Lee, 22, was one of six people injured in the incident in the Castlemilk area of Glasgow in which two men were shot.

Officers were called to the scene at Ballantay Terrace at about 8pm on Saturday after a fight broke out between two gangs of men.

Police said the six men sustained injuries consistent with a variety of weapons - thought to be knives and guns - being used.

Mr Lee died with a gunshot wound on Sunday evening at Queen Elizabeth University Hospital in the city. His death is being treated as a murder.

A 62-year-old was in a serious condition after being shot but has since been released from hospital following treatment. The other four injured men have also been discharged.

Police said that, from initial CCTV enquiries, several people were seen looking out their windows at the time while others nearby observed the events unfold.

Detective Superintendent Allan Burton said: "This is clearly a worrying incident for local residents and families who live nearby, but I want to assure people that this level of violence in our communities will not be tolerated and we will be using every available resource to arrest those responsible for these violent attacks.

"The men involved are believed to be known to one another and sought each other out in targeted attacks.

"The end result has been a young man losing his life.

"We have had an encouraging response from the local community so far but I know that there are still people in the area who have not spoken to us.

"I would urge them to get in touch - help us, tell us what you know, your information could prove vital.

"Additional officers continue to patrol the area offering reassurance to the local community and I would like to assure local residents that this will continue.

"Anyone with any concerns should approach these officers.''

Police remained at the scene on Monday and a team of forensic specialists was on the ground. Officers were also conducting door-to-door inquiries.

A team of about 10 forensics officers were seen at the rear of a nearby property.

Each of them was examining a grass area on their hands and knees while CID officers knocked doors beyond the police cordon.

The other attacks are being treated as attempted murder and serious assaults. A report will be sent to the procurator fiscal.

Officers do not believe the incident is linked to any others in the Glasgow area over the last few months or any ongoing police investigations, and said there is nothing to suggest the incident was racially motivated.

One member of the public in his 40s, who asked not to be named, said: "They were all pals those involved, but just had a disagreement and it escalated.

"It's tragic what happened.''

Anyone with information is asked to contact officers at Helen Street police station on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.