Strictly Stars in shock after AJ Pritchard and brother are attacked in a nightclub
29 December 2018, 09:36
Both brothers are said to be recovering in hospital
Giovanni Pernice and Katya Jones were among the Strictly Come Dancing stars that spoke out against the 'thugs' that attacked their fellow contestant AJ Pritchard and his brother on Thursday night.
The 24-year-old was on a night out in Nantwich, Cheshire, when he and his brother Curtis were attacked by a gang of eight, who witnesses say kicked and punched them in the face like they were 'possessed'.
A shocked witness said AJ and Curtis - who is also a professional dancer on the Irish show Dancing With The Stars - were posing for selfies with fans and having a good time before they were attacked.
Speaking to The Sun they said: 'But the eight lads took a disliking to the brothers and pushed Curtis hard. Then they started punching them, like they were possessed.
'Curtis had fallen to his knees and was being punched in the face and body. They were also punching AJ in his face, in his ribs and legs. AJ dragged Curtis out of the circle and pulled him to another part of the club.'
A spokesman for the Pritchard family said that the attack meant that Curtis would have to undergo emergency surgery on his knee in the next few days whilst also recovering from 'injuries to his eye and face'.
AJ also received multiple bruising to his 'face, arms, body and legs'.
After the news broke, the Strictly stars came out in full force in support of their pal and to condemn the 'disgusting' attackers.
Pro dancer Giovanni Pernice tweeted 'Wtf is wrong with this people ????? Guys I’m so sorry @CurtisPritchard@Aj11Ace I’m with you all the way !! Disgusting !!!!'
While Aljaz Skorjanec, who was paired up with Kate Silverton on Strictly 2018, said: 'So upset by the news about @Aj11Ace and @CurtisPritchard!! Two lovely guys that mean no harm to anyone ever!! I can not believe it. To the thugs that did that.. shall we dance???? #fuming'
Police said that four victims had been taken to hospital for treatment and all have Ince been discharged.
Officers have since arrested a 20-year-old man from Crewe on suspicion of assault. He has since been released under investigation pending further inquiries.