Full name: Whitney Elizabeth Houston
Birthday: 9th August 1963
Hometown: Newark, New Jersey
Career highlights: Six-time Grammy Award winner, a record-breaking seven US number one singles on the trot and more than 150 million record sales.
Highest charting single: 'Saving All My Love For You', 'I Wanna Dance With Somebody' and 'I Will Always Love You' all reached No.1.
|I Will Always Love You
||I Wanna Dance With Somebody|
|I'm Every Woman||Million Dollar Bill|
|I Have Nothing||One Moment In Time|
- Whitney joined the church choir at the age of eleven, singing solo in front of the congregation every week.
- Whitney's mother Cissy Houston, her first cousin Dionne Warwick, and godmother Aretha Franklin were all huge stars in R&B, gospel and soul music.
- She was a backing vocalist with smash 70s disco group Chaka Khan.
- Whitney’s debut album, 'Whitney Houston', released in 1985, was a slow-seller, but the popstrel ploughed on and released second album 'Whitney' in 1987 which went straight to number one making her a household name.
- 'The Bodyguard' became the best-selling soundtrack album ever and produced the hit single, 'I Will Always Love You', which spent ten weeks at No.1 on the UK singles chart in 1992.
- Despite her personal problems in recent years, the talented singer has continued to release albums to much critical acclaim and commercial success.