Family Of Dead Sailor Release Statement

Kyle Bartlett's family say they can't come to terms with how he died and feel let down.

The following statement has been issued by Kyle Bartlett's mother:

"Kyle will always be remembered with great fondness by all who knew him. He had no enemies, and I shall always be proud of my son and his naval background, and the charity work, through which he helped rebuild communities in Africa.

"His death has ruined not only family and friend's lives, but all he came into contact with. People from all over the world, as far away as Brazil, Australia and the Falkland Islands.

"Kyle was such a special person who touched the lives of many. In time we will be able to take small steps forward to moving on with our lives. The sudden death of Kyle has changed all of our lives forever. We are now left with a huge void, not only within his family but also in the wider Naval family, that nothing can fill.

"I feel let down and bewildered by the decision made in court, and I know this is a feeling shared by Kyle's many friends and family.

"I do not know how I can now carry on, and my reality will never be the same again. I cannot come to terms with the fact that my son has died in these circumstances, and yet no one is responsible. Though the court process has now finished, there is a long and hard road ahead.

"Kyle will never be forgotten. He was a very special person and touched the lives of so many, and his memory will live on forever."


Four Royal Marines were cleared yesterday of all charges over the death of a sailor at a bar in Portsmouth.

21-year-old Royal Navy engineer Kyle Bartlett died of head injuries after a row in the Walkabout last May.

The four Marines - two of them from Southsea - were originally charged with murder.

One had his charge reduced to manslaughter and the others to affray, but all four were found not guilty on Thursday.

Detective Superintendent Jason Hogg said, “The decision made by the jury brings to a close a long and complex police investigation, into an incident after which Kyle Bartlett sadly died in May 2009.

“I would like to thank Mr Bartlett’s family, who have supported our enquiries throughout this process, and all those who came forward and provided information to assist the investigation. I would also like to thank those members of the media who helped publicise the appeals for information made in the days and weeks following this tragic death.

“As a matter of course we will conduct a debrief in relation to the investigation, to establish any points that may prove useful in future enquiries. We will not be looking to make any further arrests or reopen the investigation.

“As a result of our enquiries we presented the evidence gathered to the CPS, who advised there was sufficient evidence to take the case to a trial by jury, and all four verdicts have been given today.

“We hope that the end of this court case will be able to bring some closure for Mr Bartlett’s family, after what has been a very difficult 10 months.”