Juror Faints At Shock Details Of Southampton Murder Case

13 July 2015, 18:26 | Updated: 15 July 2015, 13:59

A spare juror has fainted while a court was told of the "shocking and distressing'' murder of a 51-year-old Southampton woman who died of internal injuries caused by a shampoo bottle found in her abdomen.

William Mousley QC, prosecuting, had begun telling the jury at Winchester Crown Court the circumstances surrounding the death of Majella Lynch when a woman selected as a standby juror fainted in her seat.

A male spare juror called for assistance and the case was halted but as the woman was being led from the court, she collapsed again on the floor.

Another female juror then came to her assistance saying that she was a nurse.

The court was then cleared at the direction of the judge, Mr Justice Akenhead, to enable the collapsed juror to be cared for.

At the start of the hearing, Mr Akenhead warned the jury that they might find the details of the case ``shocking and distressing''.

Mr Mousley told the seven men and five women members of the jury, plus the two spare members - who had been selected in case a problem arose with the main 12 - how Ms Lynch had been taken to hospital on April 18 last year after she was found at home by carers suffering ``severe abdominal pain''.

He said that medical staff examined her and found a full 400ml shampoo bottle in her abdominal cavity.

The bottle was removed but she died two days later. Mr Mousley said the presence of the bottle would have been ``extremely painful'' and it would not have been possible for Ms Lynch to have caused the injuries to herself and she did not tell hospital staff what had happened.

He said: ``She was at the very least reluctant to say what had caused this terrible pain, either denying that anything had happened to her or refusing to answer when asked the question but she did confirm to the nurses she saw in hospital she had been assaulted. She was obviously very scared.''

He explained that Daniel McBride admitted visiting Ms Lynch's home at the time the injuries would have occurred and added: ``There was nobody else who could have been responsible for what the prosecution says was a perverted sexual assault.''

McBride, 43, of St Denys Road, Southampton, Hampshire, denies a charge of murder.