Great East Swim Postponed Due To Weather

15 June 2012, 11:43 | Updated: 15 June 2012, 11:46

The British Gas Great East Swim has been postponed for 24 hours due this weekend's weather forecast.

The event, which was due to take place tomorrow at Alton Water Country Park near Ipswich, will now take place on Sunday 17th June.

The decision was taken this morning by the independent event planning group, as the weather forecast for Saturday predicts strong gusting winds, which are expected to reduce in strength by Sunday morning.

The programme of events is intended to be replicated on the Sunday, with weather conditions being monitored on a regular basis.  Participants will be offered a full refund of their entry fee if they are unable to participate. 

Alex Jackson, of organisers Nova International, said: "We are sorry to delay the event by 24 hours and fully understand the inconvenience this will cause, but the safety and well-being of our participants will always be our number one priority."

All participants have been notified by email and text or phone message of the change.