On Air Now
Heart's Club Classics with Lucy Horobin 7pm - 10pm
4 October 2012, 07:23 | Updated: 4 October 2012, 07:25
Emergency services, including fire crews from Needham Market and Stowmarket, were called to an explosion at a house on Lavenham Way in Stowmarket in Suffolk last night.
Stowmarket fire crews booked in attendance at the incident at 21:19 after getting a call from Suffolk Police and reported that the house had been struck by lightning. The gas and electricity had been severly affected in the house, but all the occupants were shaken but safely out of the property.
The first informative to control stated that this was a two storey semi detached house which had suffered a lightning strike to the chimney stack causing severe structural damage to both the gas fire and the electrical fuse board. One woman was being treated for shock by fire crews until the arrival of the ambulance crews.
Crews isolated the supplies to both gas and electricity and last night were arranging with the other emergency services to bring the incident to a safe conclusion.
Needham Market returned to base, however Stowmarket remained in attendance awaiting the arrival of a structural engineer, to survey the scene.