Two More Bodies Found At Camber Sands

24 August 2016, 18:10 | Updated: 24 August 2016, 23:14

It brings the total number of people who've died on the beach in East Sussex today to five.

The RNLI has also confirmed they are still looking for a sixth person, possibly still in the water.

Richard Tollett, lifeboat operations manager at Rye Harbour said: 
``As the tide has receded it has left a couple more bodies on the beach in the sand at Camber.
``A member of the public found them and that person reported another one in the water so we have got two lifeboats and a helicopter searching the area trying to find the other one.''

Heart's Bryony Waite was at the scene on Wednesday night:

Emergency services were initially called to Camber Sands, near Rye, just after 2pm this afternoon.

On the hottest day of the year, the beach was packed with holidaymakers and locals but sadly ended in tragedy for the group of men- who got into difficulty swimming.

Beachgoers were being urged to stay out of the sea as medics aided them.

One eye-witness, Natalja Taylor, 30, who was on a day-trip with her husband, said police were driving up the beach with a loudhailer urging people to stay out of the sea.

She said:

``We were sat on a hill a bit further away and we saw three people being pulled out of the water. I think the people who rescued them were regular people, not emergency personnel.

``We don't know what condition they were in. There were so many people there. They were still on the beach when we left.

``Police drove onto the beach with a loudspeaker, telling people not to go into the water until further notice. They also taped off a huge chunk of the beach so no-one could get near it.

``It's pretty scary. I'm not sure how it happened. We decided not to go into the sea after seeing warning signs about some kind of fish. It wasn't particularly windy down there, it was just a hot, sunny beach day.

``There was a lot of people on the beach, particularly for a weekday. We're now just hoping that everyone involved is okay.''

The Lydd and Lee-on-Solent-based UK Coastguard search-and-rescue helicopters were also scrambled to the scene, along with an air ambulance. An RNLI lifeboat from Rye and Coastguard rescue teams are also there.

Sussex Police's Chief Superintendent Di Roskilly said:

"We are working with Maritime and Coastguard Agency, Royal National Lifeboat Institute, South East Coast Ambulance and Rother District Council to clear the beach and encourage people to come out of the sea while we are investigating this incident.

We are also asking people to stay away from Camber for the afternoon and evening to assist emergency services in managing this incident.

"This has been an incredibly tragic situation and very traumatic for those who were there on the beach at the time. At this stage we do not know who the men are and are doing all we can to establish their identities."

Last month, 19-year-old Brazilian Gustavo Silva Da Cruz died after getting into difficulty while swimming in the sea there.

Mr Da Cruz, who was visiting family in Croydon, south London, was one of three men who got into trouble. The two others, who were not connected to him, included a man aged 35 and his son aged 17.