Southern: Engineers Strike Called Off
10 July 2015, 12:37
Planned strikes by engineers on Southern Railway due to start this weekend have been suspended after a breakthrough in last minute talks, said the RMT union.
These are the statements issued earlier this week when the strike was still on
Engineers at Southern Railway will walk out from 5pm on Sunday for five days, and will not work any overtime this weekend.
The Rail, Maritime and Transport union says it is in dispute over the working week, rosters and productivity.
General secretary Mick Cash said: "The strike action on Southern this weekend and running through next week is on as the latest offer from the company was wholly inadequate.
"We expect rock solid support from the fleet engineers following their massive vote for action and it is now down to the company to address the issues at the heart of this dispute and get back into serious talks.''
A spokesman for Southern, which runs services from London to the Sussex coast, said: "We don't understand why the RMT is going ahead with this strike as we have committed to offer a shorter working week as part of the pay talks due to take place on July 21.
"So we are surprised that the RMT is asking its members to sacrifice five days pay to achieve this.
"We remain hopeful that this can be resolved without inconveniencing our passengers. If the strike goes ahead we will continue to operate our normal timetable and will work to minimise the level of disruption to passengers.''