Surrey Father Dies After Family Swept Out to Sea

20 August 2016, 12:59 | Updated: 20 August 2016, 13:01

A man has died after a family were swept into the sea at Newquay yesterday [19 August].

The family of five were on rocks at South Fistral Beach when they were washed into the sea by a large wave around 5.20pm.

The man and woman and three children, from the Surrey area, were holidaying in the Newquay area when the incident happened.

The RNLI lifeboat, Coastguard helicopter, lifeguards from North Fistral, police, air ambulance and ambulance crews attended the scene.

The mother and father, both in their 30s, were rescued from the water by RNLI lifeguards.

Lifeguards carried out CPR on the man before he was airlifted by the air ambulance to Treliske Hospital. He died in hospital yesterday evening.

The woman was also flown to Treliske where she remains having sustained minor injuries.

A two-year-old girl was recovered from the sea by an RNLI lifeboat before being flown to hospital where she remains.

The two other children managed to get back onto the rocks and were located by the Coastguard. They sustained minor injuries before being taken by ambulance to Treliske.

Next of kin have not yet been informed and formal ID has not yet been carried out on the man.

Police have launched an investigation into the circumstances of the incident and are appealing for witnesses.

Anyone who saw the incident or has information which can assist the investigation is being asked to attend Newquay police station today, Saturday 20 August, between 2pm and 4pm, and tomorrow between 10am and 2pm.

Investigating officer Detective Constable Jarrod Yewen, from Newquay CID, said: “This is a tragic incident and our thoughts are with the family at this difficult time.

“We are investigating the circumstances of the incident and we would like to speak to anyone who was on the beach at the time. We are asking people to attend Newquay police station today or tomorrow to enable them to talk to us in person about this incident.”

Anyone who cannot attend the station but may have information that can help the investigation is asked to contact police via email at or by telephone on 101, quoting log number 681 of 19/08/16 or enquiry number EN/16703/16.