Surrey Robber Disgused As Woman Jailed

20 May 2016, 08:16 | Updated: 20 May 2016, 08:24

A man who tried to rob a Surrey jewellers dressed in a mini skirt, tight top and long wig is jailed for 6 years.

A man who attempted to carry out an audacious armed robbery at a jewellers in Leatherhead whilst dressed in women's clothing and his accomplice have been jailed for a total of nearly ten years.

Ryan Valentine, 39, of Carlton Road in Walton-on-Thames and Raymond Price, 45, of Thamesmead in Walton-on-Thames were sentenced at Guildford Crown Court today (Thursday, 19 May).

Valentine was sentenced to six years in prison and Price was jailed for 45 months after both men admitted charges of having an imitation firearm. The two men had both entered guilty pleas at earlier hearings.

Paula Jones, 29, of Grenside Road in Weybridge was also sentenced to 15 months imprisonment for assisting an offender during the same hearing.

The incident took place shortly after 5pm on Friday, 19 February when Valentine entered the jewellery shop in the High Street wearing a long black wig, dark sunglasses, a black skirt, a light coloured long-sleeved top and carrying a dark coloured handbag.

A short time later Price entered the shop with his face covered by a motorcycle helmet.

Valentine then pulled out what appeared to be a firearm, later discovered to be an imitation weapon, and threatened the two members of staff, who were the only other people in the store at the time of the incident.

The two members of staff refused to hand over any money or jewellery and became involved in a brief struggle with the two suspects.

Valentine managed to get out of the store and ran from the area but the two members of staff, with assistance from several passers-by, tackled Price and detained him at the scene until officers arrived.

Valentine was arrested by officers in Sussex several days after the incident.

Detective Sergeant Joe Easterbrook said: "This was a highly unusual incident where two men in very distinctive clothing attempted to rob a local business in broad daylight.

"The two members of staff working that day refused to be intimidated by the suspects and showed tremendous bravery to challenge the two men and stop Price from leaving the store until our officers arrived.

"Although the members of staff were both very shaken by what took place fortunately they both only suffered minor injuries during the incident.

"I would also like to pay tribute to the members of the public walking past the shop at the time of the robbery who stopped to assist with the efforts to prevent Price from escaping.

"I can appreciate that this must have been a very concerning incident for Leatherhead residents and I hope that the lengthy sentences imposed by the courts today will reassure them that these two dangerous individuals will both be off the streets for a considerable period.

"Everyone has the right to go about their business in peace and Surrey Police will not tolerate serious and violent offences of this nature and will do everything possible to bring those responsible to justice.”

To view CCTV footage of the incident please click on the attached link: