Teenager's Safety Message

5 November 2010, 00:00

As bonfire weekend gets underway, a teenager has released a dramatic video to emphasise the firework safety message.


Helena Wood from Kent needed treatment at the specialist burns unit at the Queen Victoria Hospital in East Grinstead after being involved in an accident when she was seven - she needed skin grafts, some of the burns had gone through to the nervous system

She's made a video with the aim of ensuring the same thing doesn't happen to anyone else


Firework Code

Before they explode read the code!
1 Light sparklers one at a time and wear gloves
2 Never give sparklers to a child under 5
3 Buy fireworks marked BS 7114
4 Keep fireworks in a closed box
5 Follow the instructions on each firework
6 Light them at arm’s length using a taper
7 Stand well back
8 Never go back to a lit firework
9 Never put fireworks in your pocket
10 Never throw fireworks
11 Keep pets indoors