Aborfield: Murder Sentence Extended

15 January 2014, 12:02 | Updated: 15 January 2014, 12:32

A judge has ruled the sentence given to a man who violently murdered a mum in Arborfield was unduly lenient

Glenn Nelson was jailed for life in October with a minimum of 25 years. The Court of Appeal has now increased that to the minimum term of 30 years. 

In October last year Nelson pleaded guilty to offences of murder and attempted rape and was sentenced at Reading Crown Court to life imprisonment with a minimum term of 25 years. That case was submitted to the Attorney General's office as possibly unduly lenient. 

The Solicitor General, Oliver Heald QC MP agreed and referred the case to the Court of Appeal. Speaking after the hearing today the Solicitor General, Oliver Heald QC MP said: "This was an appalling and shocking case where a man set off from home with a settled intention to commit rape. It was the misfortune of Krishnamaya Mabo, a wholly innocent victim, to encounter him. She was murdered so as to prevent her from identifying and giving evidence again Nelson. "Mrs Mabo's husband served in the Royal Gurkha Rifles for our country. Our thoughts are with him and all the Mabo family because of their tragic loss. It is reassuring that the Court of Appeal has increased the original sentence, which was too lenient."

Background to the case: 

On 2nd June 2013 Krishnamaya Mabo was picking nettles to make a herbal drink. Her husband a Ghurkha, had served in the British Army since 1990 and the two lived with their children on Arborfield Garrison. 

Having recently been released from prison, Glenn Nelson was living in a caravan on the Crown Park caravan site nearby. He had gone out with a knife looking for a woman to rape. 

He approached Mrs Mabo, violently attacked her and with the intention of preventing her from giving evidence against him, he killed her. He was quickly identified as a person of interest to the police. search of his caravan led to the discovery of evidence. 

On 8th October 2013 Glenn Nelson was sentenced at Reading Crown Court to life imprisonment with a minimum term of 25 years for the murder. 6 years imprisonment concurrent to the minimum term was imposed for the attempted rape.