On Air Now
Heart Breakfast with Jamie Theakston and Lucy Horobin 6:30am - 10am
24 January 2019, 14:40
A cricketer charged with raping a woman at his flat is set to face a re-trial, the Crown Prosecution Service has confirmed.
The CPS said the complainant, who accuses Alex Hepburn of rape, had been consulted before the decision was taken to seek a second trial.
Jurors were discharged earlier this month at Worcester Crown Court after failing to reach verdicts on two counts of rape following more than nine hours of deliberations.
Australian-born Hepburn, 23, of Portland Street, Worcester, denies raping the woman, who cannot be identified, in April 2017.
The former Worcestershire CCC all-rounder's re-trial has been listed for April 8.
A CPS spokesperson said: "After careful consideration of the case against Alex Hepburn, including consultation with the complainant, we have decided to seek a retrial."