Man Dies After Canal Boat Sinks In Droitwich Lock

26 July 2016, 19:10 | Updated: 26 July 2016, 19:11

A man's died after a canal boat sank going through a lock in Droitwich.

Paramedics were called at 11.20am this morning and air ambulance sent to the Worcester and Birmingham Canal at Droitwich Junction.
The lock was drained and firefighters sent into the boat but the man couldn't be saved.
The victim, named locally as Allen Green, is reported to have saved his mother before going back inside his boat in an apparent effort to rescue an amount of cash and other belongings.
A West Midlands Ambulance Service spokesman said: "The lock was drained and firefighters went on board the narrowboat.  They brought the man out and advanced life support was carried out by ambulance staff, but sadly it was not possible to save him and he was confirmed dead at the scene.
"An elderly woman who had managed to get off the narrow boat was assessed by ambulance staff but was found to be uninjured and was left with police officers."

West Mercia Police released the following statement:

"West Mercia Police along with colleagues from Hereford and Worcester Fire and Rescue and West Midlands Ambulance attended an incident at Worcester and Birmingham canal near to Droitwich Ruby Club. We were called at approximately 11:30am yesterday (Monday 25 July) after concerns were raised for the safety of a man in a boat.

"Ambulance crew provided treatment, however the man in his forties sadly died at the scene. Another man and a woman who were also on the boat received precautionary treatment.
"The man's next of kin have been informed."

Friends of Mr Green, who was aged in his 40s, said he had lived at a mooring in nearby Droitwich for several years.

His narrowboat, named Sonskit, was removed from the five-year-old lock on Tuesday before being towed to a nearby marina.

Inquiries into the incident may focus on whether part of the 50ft boat, possibly its tiller, became wedged in part of the lock after it was pushed backwards by incoming water.

Speaking after the boat was drained and re-floated by salvage experts, the head rescue coordinator for the River Canal Rescue organisation, Pete Barnett, said the boat probably sank within two minutes.

Asked what caused the accident, Mr Barnett said: "That's down to a full investigation but in my opinion something has got jammed, held the boat down and filled it with water.

"As far as I know the gentleman was very experienced and had lived on the boat for quite a few years.''