On Air Now
Heart's Feel Good Weekend with Zoe Hardman 12pm - 4pm
28 July 2015, 17:17
Paramedics have rescued a man found inside a bin lorry in Warwickshire.
The man was believed to be asleep in a large industrial bin in Nuneaton when the load was tipped into a lorry at around 9.45am, West Midlands Ambulance Service (WMAS) said.
The load was then compacted and it was only when the bin crew noticed movement and heard shouting they realised there was someone inside.
The air ambulance was sent to the scene and the man was taken by road to the University Hospital Coventry with ``no obvious injuries'' other than pain in his legs and back.
The ambulance service said crews had to remove the man from the top of the lorry and the rescue operation was ``logistically difficult''.
A spokesman for WMAS said: ``First, the rubbish had to be moved to be able to reach the man who was given pain relief. He was then immobilised inside the lorry.
``A fire service ladder was placed inside the lorry. Meanwhile, outside, scaffolding was assembled along the side of the lorry. Ambulance and fire crews lifted him together up the ladder, over the top of the lorry, then down the side using the scaffolding.''
The lorry involved was owned by Biffa, a commercial waste removal company, and an investigation is now ongoing into what happened.
Matthew Humphreys, Group Head of Safety, Health and Quality, said: "An incident took place on Avenue Road, Nuneaton on Wednesday 28th July 2015, which resulted in a person being found in the rear of one of our commercial collection vehicles. Police and the emergency services attended the scene and the person was taken to hospital for treatment.
"We are awaiting confirmation as to the condition of the person involved, however emergency services at the scene indicated that he has sustained minor injuries.
"The police in attendance released the Biffa vehicle for continued use following the incident."
"Biffa takes health and safety very seriously and is conducting its own internal investigation into the circumstances surrounding the incident. The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) has been informed."