Rugby Shooting: Third Man Arrested

27 July 2014, 07:30 | Updated: 27 July 2014, 07:32

A third man's been arrested after a man was shot dead on a road near Rugby.

The victim, who has not yet been formally identified, is believed to be in his 20s, Warwickshire Police said.

A murder investigation was launched after the man was found with gunshot wounds in a car which is believed to have been forced off Newton Road near Rugby on Friday around 11.40am.

Three people have been arrested in connection with the incident.

Two men in their 30s remain in police custody. A third person arrested on Friday has been released with no further action, a force spokesperson said.

Police are continuing to investigate the circumstances of the incident and are appealing for witnesses to contact them.

Officers are keen to speak to passengers travelling on the X44 bus between Hinckley and Rugby that passed Newton Road at around the time of the incident, and anyone who saw a silver hatchback car travelling away from the scene at high speed.

The driver of a maroon-coloured car has now contacted the force.

Superintendent Adrian McGee, who is leading the murder investigation, said: ``We need to hear from anyone who may have information to assist us with our enquiries.

"We know that a bus travelled along Newton Road near to the time of the incident. We are particularly keen to hear from passengers travelling on the X44 bus service from Hinckley to Rugby yesterday through Newton village who may have seen a silver hatchback vehicle travelling at speed.

"We had previously had reports that two vehicles were seen driving away from the scene. The driver of the red car has now contacted the police, however we are still interested to hear from anyone who may have seen a silver car in the locality of this incident.

"I would like to reassure the local community that we believe this to be a targeted incident, however increased patrols and house to house enquiries will continue today in the Newton village area.''