Two Jailed For Million Pound A Year Brothel In Birmingham

18 October 2016, 15:13 | Updated: 18 October 2016, 17:12

A father and son have been jailed for almost 5 years between them for running a brothel in Birmingham which made a million pounds a year.

Officers raided the Libra Club in Summer Hill Road, Birmingham, in February 2015 after investigations showed the venue was attracting up to 200 customers a day.

The club - which was advertised as a massage and relaxation premises - was connected to serious disorder including an arson attack where a petrol bomb was thrown at the front entrance and when gunshots were fired at the premises. 

Raids were carried out at the club and addresses linked to its management as part of a planned operation involving the Serious and Organised Crime Unit (SOCU), Regional Asset Recovery Team (RART) and local officers. 

They found more than a dozen women inside the Libra along with private rooms containing beds as well as evidence of sexual activity.

Officers also seized tens of thousands of pounds in cash which they suspected of being profits from the club after searching some of the associated addresses. 

Three men and three women were arrested and charged in connection with the management of the brothel - which is believed to have generated £7 million before being shut down after the raid under police powers. 

The six admitted involvement in management of a brothel for the purposes of prostitution at a previous hearing and were sentenced at Birmingham Crown Court today.

Achilleos Neophytou, aged 66, (top left) and his son Stefanos Neophytou, 25, (top middle) were at the forefront of the illegal business and were both jailed for 27 months. 

Marilyn Egan, 65, (bottom left) of Pershore Road, Edgbaston, and Anita O’Donnell, 55, (bottom middle) of Slade Lane, Hall Green, were both given 12 month community orders and electronically tagged for three months. 

Ogun Olufunlola, 30, of Roseby Street, Springhill received a 12 month community order and is expected to perform 120 hours of unpaid work, while Martin Tierney, 60, of Sheffield Road, Sutton Coldfield was given a 10 month prison sentence suspended for two years. He will also perform 120 hours of unpaid work.