Homes evacuated after Flintshire fire

Homes have been evacuated in part of Flintshire after six fire crews were called to a building fire in the early hours of Friday morning.

The fire broke out on Shotton Lane, Shotton at 4.11am.

Emergency services say nearby homes were evacuated to Deeside Leisure Centre because of thick smoke.

The building on fire is Shotton Lane Social Club which has been earmarked for an Islamic Cultural Centre.

A spokesperson for North Wales Fire and Rescue Service said:

"Firefighters from Deeside, Flint, Mold, Rhyl, Holywell and Wrexham are present at the fire and residents who live near the incident have been evacuated.

"Crews are still in attendance at this incident and more details will be available later this morning."

Part of Shotton Lane is closed as smoke blows across the road there making it dangerous for motorists.