Faulty Hospital Equipment Contributed To Student's Death
9 September 2016, 14:56
An inquest's found failings by Leeds General Infirmary 'significantly contributed' to the death of a student.
19 year old Jagdip Randhawa, from Hounslow, London, died after hitting his head on a concrete path following the attack by Clifton Ty Mitchell during a night out in Leeds in October 2011.
An inquest at Wakefield Coroner's Court heard that, after the assault by Mitchell, who was on bail for another violent offence at the time, Mr Randhawa was placed on a faulty ventilator in hospital, starving him of oxygen.
On Thursday, a jury concluded that failings at Leeds General Infirmary contributed to his death.
After three days of deliberations, the jury foreman said:
"We, the jury, concluded that two significant facts caused the death of Mr Randhawa.
"Firstly, the punches to the head in Leeds city centre which subsequently caused Mr Randhawa to hit his head on the ground.
"Secondly, the treatment in Leeds General Infirmary which fell significantly below the standards expected and required, which exacerbated the injuries to the head.
"We believe that serious mistakes and serious errors in judgment were made by a doctor involved in treating Mr Randhawa in Leeds General Infirmary on October 12, 2011.''
The jury concluded that these failing by the hospital were not "gross'' and this did not amount to unlawful killing in this respect.
"The jury has concluded that various aspects of the treatment received in hospital on October 12 2011 did significantly contribute to the death of Mr Randhawa.''
"On the balance of probability, we are satisfied that but for the neglect identified, Mr Randhawa would have survived or would not have died when he did.''
Mitchell, from Derby, was convicted of manslaughter and jailed for seven years in 2012.
Dr Yvette Oade, chief medical officer at Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust said:
"I would like to offer my sincere apologies on behalf of the Trust to Mr Randhawa's family. We are deeply sorry that the care we provided in October 2011 failed him and his family.
"Following this tragic incident, we immediately carried out a careful and detailed internal investigation which we shared the findings of with Mr Randhawa's family and at the same time offered our unreserved apologies.
"We have learned important lessons from Mr Randhawa's death and we implemented all of the recommendations from the investigation at the time which have led to significant improvements in the way we provide care. These improvements were recognised in court by the coroner and he was assured that we have taken all the necessary steps to minimise the risk of mistakes like this happening again.''