Council Consults On Gypsy Pitches
The official consultation on gypsy and traveller sites in Central Bedfordshire starts today.
In February, members of Central Bedfordshire Council’s Sustainable Communities Overview and Scrutiny Committee recommended 8 sites were put forward for the public to give their views on. The full public consultation will run for six weeks.
The proposed shortlist is:
- Land rear of 197 Hitchin Road, Arlesey
- 1 Old Acres, Barton Road, Pulloxhill
- Hermitage Lane, off Westoning Road, Greenfield
- Oak Tree Nursery & Magpie Farm, Upper Caldecote
- Land between Common Road and Myers Road, South of Gypsy and Traveller site, Potton
- Land South of Dunton Lane, Biggleswade
- Land East of A6001, Hitchin Rd and opposite the RAF Henlow Camp
- Sutton Storage Compound, South of Sutton
Trevor Saunders, Assistant Director for Planning and Development Strategy at Central Bedfordshire Council said: "This is part of a long term continuing consultation process and we want to reassure people that no final decision has been made on these sites.
"Central Bedfordshire Council is encouraging local people to take part in this consultation as their views are vitally important to the process."
The council have to provide an extra 40 Gypsy and Traveller pitches following recommendations from the Government.
All of the consultation material is available on the 'Talk to Central Bedfordshire' website: www.talktocentralbedfordshire.co.uk .
This deals only with proposed sites in the Northern (former Mid Beds) part of Central Bedfordshire. Proposals for the rest of the District will be considered and consulted upon at a later date.