24 year-old Josh Pitt shot and killed by police in Luton last year
Police Warning After Burglaries
Police in Bedford are warning residents to check their home security after two burglaries were reported since the weekend.
In the first, burglars used tools from a shed to jemmy open a window and steal £8000 of jewellery.
The break happened at a house in Restormel Close sometime between 3.30pm on Saturday (March 12) and 7.30pm on Sunday March 13th, while the occupants were away. The offenders broke into the shed in the rear garden before getting into the house and taking bracelets, necklaces and earrings, all of which are made of a distinctive French gold.
Another burglary was reported on the evening of Tuesday March 15th between 7.30pm and 7.45pm in Churchville Road, also in Bedford. French doors were forced before offenders entered the house but were disturbed by residents who were home at the time. The homeowners screamed prompting them to run from the house empty handed.
DC Alison Whitworth, from Bedford’s Burglary Squad says the pieces from the first offence may be offered for sale. She said: “Firstly we would remind home owners to ensure their sheds, garages and houses are properly and effectively secured. This victim did have a lock on her shed but the offenders still managed to break in to get the tools to enter the house. Secondly I would ask anyone who may be offered the items stolen for sale to let the police know. The jewellery was of significant value and may be a tempting buy for someone.”
Anyone with information about either offence should contact DC Whitworth or DC Kevin Howes
in confidence, on 01234 275142 or Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.
Residents are urged to follow this advice in order to help prevent them from becoming victims of burglary.
- Fit outside security lights and putting gates across side passages
- Double checking fences and boundaries for weak spots
- Fit security features such as window locks, patio door locks and a burglar alarm – if you have a uPVC door, always push the handle up before DOUBLE locking it
- Never leave keys under mats and flower pots, it’s the first place burglars look
- Keep an eye out for strangers in your street, especially if they are selling property door to door. If you are suspicious, call the police.
- Help protect your neighbourhood by joining Neighbourhood Watch, or becoming a co-ordinator
Recently Played Tracks
Now playing: The best feel good music
Deposit £10 to get a £40 Welcome Bonus - That's £50 to play bingo, slots and more!*
Over 50 tracks to make you feel-good. New album out now...
Find your local four day weather report here.
What's happening on the roads where you are?
Make Heart the soundtrack to your day and you could be a winner with great prizes up for grabs throughout the day.
Find out more about some of the companies advertising on Heart 96.9
Get some great ideas on how to advertise your business on radio, online and on mobile.