A Cambridge businessman who controlled and coerced his wife for nearly a decade has been jailed for more than four years.
Cambridgeshire: Signs Of Child Abuse
Teachers, police, social workers and childrens centre staff in Cambridgeshire are being taught how to spot the signs a child is being sexually abused today.
One in ten children is a victim, according to the charity 'Stop It Now' which is running the conference at Cambridgeshire Police's HQ.
It's part of a new push in Cambridgeshire to prevent children being sexually abused.
Members of the charity are running the training for those who work with children and their families.
Director of Stop it Now!, Donald Findlater said: "It is not good enough to only respond to abuse after it has happened.
The prevention of child sexual abuse doesn't get too many headlines, but it does mean that children and families don't have to suffer the anguish that our headlines too often speak of after a child has been harmed.'
The following list of things to watch out for in children who may be being abused has been taken from the 'Stop It Now' website.
- Acting out in an inappropriate sexual way with other children, toys or objects.
- Nightmares, sleeping problems.
- Becoming withdrawn or very clingy.
- Personality changes, seeming insecure.
- Regressing to younger behaviours, e.g. bedwetting.
- Unaccountable fear of particular places or people.
- Outbursts of unexplained anger.
- Changes in eating habits.
- Physical signs e.g. unexplained soreness or bruises around genitals, sexually-transmitted diseases.
- Becoming secretive.
- Not being able to talk openly about their activity online.
- Spending increasing amounts of time talking secretly with the new 'friend' online.
- Refuse to allow a child sufficient privacy or to make their own decisions on personal matters
- Insist on physical affection such as kissing, hugging or wrestling even when the child clearly does not want it
- Are overly interested in the sexual development of a child or teenager
- Insist on time alone with a child with no interruptions
- Spend most of their spare time with children and have little interest in spending time with people their own age
- Regularly offer to baby-sit children for free or take children on overnight outings alone
- Buy children expensive gifts or give them money for no apparent reason
- Frequently walk in on children/teenagers in the bathroom
- Treat a particular child as a favourite, making them feel 'special' compared with others in the family
- Pick on a particular child.
Anglian Water has become the first water company to trial thermal imaging drones to detect leaking water pipes.
Passengers have missed their flights after FOUR HOURS of security scanner delays at Stansted.
The search of a landfill site for the body of missing RAF serviceman Corrie McKeague is being expanded
Recently Played Tracks
On Radio: Hannah Clarkson
4pm - 7pm
Text 'MUSIC' to 82122
Now playing: The best feel good music
Deposit £10 to get a £40 Welcome Bonus - That's £50 to play bingo, slots and more!*
Over 50 tracks to make you feel-good. New album out now...
Find your local four day weather report here.
What's happening on the roads where you are?
Make Heart the soundtrack to your day and you could be a winner with great prizes up for grabs throughout the day.
Find out more about some of the companies advertising on Heart.
Get some great ideas on how to advertise your business on radio, online and on mobile.