The Herts, Beds and Cambridgeshire Roads Policing Unit is investigating after a fire engine tipped over en route to an emergency and crushed a pedestrian in Royston...
Uttlesford: Flooding Impact
Uttlesford District Council says a number of 'severe flooding' incidents have been reported in the district.
This includes in Saffron Walden, where fire crews rescued ten people and two dogs from a block of flats.
Crews were called to Radwinter Road at around 5am this morning following heavy rain overnight.
A spokesperson for Essex Fire Service said: "Crews were called to a three storey block of flats with approximately 20 flats affected by flood waters.
Firefighters rescued eight adults, including two disabled people from a ground floor flat, two children and two dogs from the flooded block of flats, crews used the rescue boat to bring them to safety by 08:00hrs."
District Council 'Does Not Provide Sandbags'
The District Council is advising residents and businesses that it does not provide sandbags.
The authority says that anyone requiring them should contact their local parish council who may have a supply.
Advice from Council:
- If water levels are rising you can make your own sandbags from old pillow cases or plastic sacks by filling them with earth and laying them like normal sandbags.
- Sandbags can be obtained from your local builders' merchants, filled or empty, and you can store your own sand to fill when needed. Details on how to properly store sandbags can be sought through the district council.
- The National Flood Forum (www.floodforum.org.uk) has lots of good information put together by homeowners who have suffered major flooding and loss of property and, in its "Blue Pages", lists various companies that can supply sandbags, flood sacks (a similar flat-packed product to traditional sandbags) air brick covers, flood boards and larger products for businesses and more substantial buildings.
- Also and most importantly you should register free with the Environment Agency's Flood Watch (www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/floods/). This service enables you to get early warnings of expected floods in your area by pager, phone, fax, email or text so wherever you are you can get advance warning of rising levels of water and put your flood defences in place.
- In preparation for the potential of further flooding over the weekend, the district council, together with the town and parish councils will check the culverts today and will clear any debris where possible.
Councillor Jim Ketteridge, leader of Uttlesford District Council said: "This is an extreme case of flooding in our district and we want to urge residents to take extra care during this time.
Most importantly it is advised not to drive through any flood water and to call emergency services should you be affected."
Abellio has announced it will sell 40% of the Greater Anglia rail franchise to Japanese giant Mitsui.
An 18-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murdering Leonne Weeks, 16, who was found dead on a path in Rotherham.
Big money grants given to local organisations
Recently Played Tracks
Deposit £10 to get a £40 Welcome Bonus - That's £50 to play bingo, slots and more!*
Over 50 tracks to make you feel-good. New album out now...
Find your local four day weather report here.
What's happening on the roads where you are?
Make Heart the soundtrack to your day and you could be a winner with great prizes up for grabs throughout the day.
Find out more about some of the companies advertising on Heart.
Get some great ideas on how to advertise your business on radio, online and on mobile.