A missing woman was reported to police on Sunday morning
Deaths Spark Carbon Monoxide Warning
The warning follows the deaths of four people and their pet dogs within weeks of each other in Cornwall
The latest incident on 23 February saw the tragic deaths of three people and a dog in what is suspected to be an incident of carbon monoxide poisoning at Tremarle Home Park near Camborne.
This follows another fatal incident on 12 February where a fire crew from St Ives Community Fire Station were called to an address in Bedford Road, St Ives where a woman and three dogs died in what is also suspected to be an incident of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Crew Manager Mark Pratten from Cornwall Fire and Rescue Service says: “These tragic events within days of each other highlight how important it is to be aware of the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning. A colourless, odourless and poisonous gas, carbon monoxide is produced by the incomplete burning of carbon-based fuels including gas, oil, wood and coal. In most cases of accidental poisonings, victims don't realise that carbon monoxide is being produced or building up in the air they are breathing. Everyone needs to know about the dangers of carbon monoxide and how to protect themselves from this silent killer.”
Mark explains: “It is important to be aware that carbon monoxide can be produced in many different ways not just by a gas boiler or gas appliances, but also by solid fuel and wood burners, as well as open fires. Carbon monoxide poisoning can have tragic results – but there are steps you can take to keep you and your loved ones safe.”
Tips for staying CO safe include:
- Buy a carbon monoxide detector - place it in your home (refer to manufacturers guidelines) test it regularly and keep the sensor free from dust and well maintained. You can also buy a portable detector to take with you on holiday.
- Have your appliances properly installed and regularly serviced by gas safe professionals.
- Sweep chimneys and flues regularly.
- Don’t block vents – make sure your home is ventilated.
- When removing hot ashes from an open fire at the end of the day, ensure they are removed to fresh air in a metal bucket and extinguished properly in a safe environment.
For more information on carbon monoxide poisoning visit www.cornwall.gov.uk/carbonmonoxide or call Cornwall Fire and Rescue Service’s 24hr freephone fire safety helpline on 0800 3581 999
A Devon and Cornwall PCSO hopes his story of domestic abuse survival will encourage people to seek help.
Our local emergency services have launched their campaign to warn drivers of the risks of drinking, or taking drugs, and driving.
This is a 26 year old man from Cornwall on the night he was later attacked in Somerset and left with life changing injuries.
Most Viewed Pictures On Heart
Recently Played Tracks
Deposit £10 to get a £40 Welcome Bonus - That's £50 to play bingo, slots and more!*
Over 50 tracks to make you feel-good. New album out now...
Find your local four day weather report here.
What's happening on the roads where you are?
Make Heart the soundtrack to your day and you could be a winner with great prizes up for grabs throughout the day.
Check all the latest reports round Cornwall
Find out more about some of the companies advertising on Heart.