PC Nathan Lucy swam out after the woman, who'd jumped into the water from the Red Jet terminal.
Fire Crews Battle Two Thatch Fire's
Nearly 100 firefighters were used to bring the two fire's under control in two parts of Dorset last night (Tuesday May 4th).
At 6.25pm, crew were alerted to the first fire in a thatch house at East Bexington, near Abbotsbury. At the height of this incident there were 10 fire engines (approximately 50 firefighters) and a water carrier on the scene. The Red Cross Fire and Emergency Support Vehicle (FESS) was also mobilised.
Crews used hose reel jets and main lines to extinguish this fire, which was put out just before 9pm. Thery received calls of another fire at approximately 8.30pm involving a thatch fire in a property in Winterborne Tomson. Arounf eight fire crews were on the scene (approximately 40 firefighters).
Incident Commander, Group Manager Craig Baker said:
"Crews worked extremely hard to extinguish this fire which affected the entire roof. Water supply in this location was difficult and crews have implemented a water shuttle system alongside using our water carrier. We have had three large incidents in the last 24 hours and crews are working extremely efficiently and effectively to deal with these fires."
Fire Investigation Officer, Station Manager Dave Myers said:
"I believe this fire started in the chimney of the property. Chimney fires can be prevented if all the right precautions are taken. Having your chimney swept is vital. The function of sweeping the flue/chimney is to remove the deposits that build up. By sweeping the flue/chimney it ensures that there is a clear and safe passage for the safe exit of combustion products, which are caused by the burning process. This lessens the chances of the chimney catching fire.
The Service has the following guidance for preventing chimney fires:
- Keep chimneys and flues clean and well maintained - ensure your chimney
is swept regularly.
- Make sure embers are under control and put out properly when you go to
- Be careful when using open fires to keep warm. Make sure you always use a
fireguard to protect against flying sparks from hot embers.
- Fit a smoke alarm on every level of your home and test it weekly.
- Contact Dorset Fire and Rescue Service for a free home fire safety check.
Sign up for a FREE home safety check from Dorset Fire and Rescue Service at www.dorsetfire.gov.uk or call us on 01305 252600.
Dad-of-two Nick Medlin from Ventnor died after being assaulted outside the Rose Inn pub in the town.
A section of Parkstone Road will be affected between 9.30am and 4.30pm for three days.
A man's died in hospital after a crash in Eastleigh.
Recently Played Tracks
Deposit £10 to get a £40 Welcome Bonus - That's £50 to play bingo, slots and more!*
Over 50 tracks to make you feel-good. New album out now...
Find your local four day weather report here.
What's happening on the roads where you are?
Make Heart the soundtrack to your day and you could be a winner with great prizes up for grabs throughout the day.
Find out more about some of the companies advertising on Heart.
Get some great ideas on how to advertise your business on radio, online and on mobile.