On Air Now
Heart's Club Classics with Annaliese 7pm - 10pm
Families in Bournemouth have two new swimming pools they can use from today (Mon 6th Dec).
They officially opened at Pelhams Park Leisure Centre in Kinson after a year of work costing £6.7Million.
Since the start of the year, work has been taking place to transform the centre into a fully accessible leisure facility, following the Council’s purchase of the building from ROKO last July and subsequent multi-million pound investment.
Councillor Ian Lancashire, Cabinet Member for Major Projects said: “This is fantastic news for Bournemouth. A new leisure centre to serve the people of North Bournemouth and replace the 41 year old Kinson Swimming Pool has been a longstanding aspiration of the Council.
“The exceptional value for money opportunity to acquire the ROKO Fitness Club came just at the right time and at the right price and has enabled us to cost-effectively create a new public leisure facility. Including the purchase of the private health club, the project has cost £6.7m in total - a saving of more than £4m on a new build leisure centre.”
The centre, which will be officially handed over to BH Live to operate on Friday 3 December, now includes:
• a brighter pool hall with bigger swimming pool and teaching pool
• a pool viewing area with wheelchair access
• a sanarium (heat and humidity similar to that of a combined steam room and sauna)
• an accessible changing facility and shower
• a wet changing village with a separate changing area for schools and groups
• separate male and female changing rooms for those attending the gym and exercise classes
• a multi-purpose room suitable for the crèche, functions, fitness classes and clubs
• landscaped outdoor areas including a new cycle path through Pelhams Park
• an upstairs therapy room
Cllr Lancashire added: "The improvements at the centre have been carried out on time, on budget and to a high standard and I am sure that the new facilities will be a great boost for the area. I am looking forward to seeing Bournemouth residents enjoy the Centre for many years to come.”