Crowd "lucky to be alive" after firework misfired
Investigations are underway after 19 people were injured when a firework got out of control and went into the 100-strong crowd during an organised event.
Emergency services were called to the Leighton Buzzard Scouts Hut in Grovebury Road at around 7:40pm last night (Monday November 8th).
Those hurt, which included children as young as 6, suffered burns and cuts. Some were taken to the L&D by ambulance, whilst others made their own way to hospital.
Gary Sanderson, from the East of England Ambulance service, told Heart that people were lucky to be alive:
“People suffered burns to their faces, backs and legs. They ranged from a 6 year old child to a 43 year old woman who suffered serious injuries to her legs.
“Most of the injuries were superficial burns, People had a lucky escape. It could have been much worse.
“Others who suffered burns to their hands and faces were an 8 year old, a ten year old and seem teenagers."
This lady lives opposite the Scout hut. She told Heart that she was supposed take her grandchildren to the display, but the rain put her off:
“There was a lull after the fireworks seemed to have finished. We were sat in the lounge at the back of the house, and then we heard a huge boom sound and it reminded me of when my husband was in the army and it sounds like a thunder flash going off because you could feel it shake your body.
“I assume that’s when everything went wrong over there. It’s just a shame that a happy evening has been ruined for a lot of families.”
This afternoon the Health and Safety Executive have been at the site investigating exactly what went wrong.
Recently Played Tracks
On Radio: Gareth Wesley
1pm - 5pm
Text 'RADIO' to 82122