National No Smoking Day 2010
10 March 2010, 05:00
Since April last year, 3,909 people in Hertfordshire have quit smoking using NHS services.
March 10th is national No Smoking Day.
To mark the day, Heart has been speaking to Liz Fisher from Hertfordshire's NHS Stop Smoking, to see how what is being done to help smokers quit the habit:
"For No Smoking Day 2010, we have joined up with our local pharmacies to promote all the services on offer to help Hertfordshire smokers to quit.
"With so much help near to where you live or work there has never been a better time to quit. You can even quit online using our new website www.smokefreehertfordshire.nhs.uk."
What's being done today to help people quit?
Well, certain pharmacies in Hertfordshire are holding special events. You can drop into any listed below between 10am - 4pm and have a conversation with one of their friendly stop smoking advisers, who will give you best advice on how to quit cigarettes.
- Boots the Chemist, Brookfield Centre, Cheshunt
- Boots the Chemist, Howard Centre, Welwyn Garden City
- Tesco Pharmacy, Mutton Lane, Potters Bar
- Riverside Pharmacy, 135 High Street, Rickmansworth
If you can't manage to get to any of these pharmacies you can speak to one of their specialists over the phone by calling 0800 389 3 998
Tips to help you quit
- Set a date - No Smoking Day is a good time to stop with millions of other people
- Get free local help - find your nearest free stop smoking service by calling 0800 389 3 998 or visiting www.smokefreehertfordshire.nhd.uk.
- Deal with nicotine withdrawal - your pharmacist or GP can talk to you about the proven treatments that can double your chances of success.
- Tell your friends and family - get them on board to help you succeed
- Make a list of the reason why you want to stop smoking - to be fitter, for your children or to save money; carry the list to remind yourself during difficult moments.
- Know what to expect - most people will find it difficult to stop smoking but it does start to get better after just a few days - remind yourself of the benefits you'll gain from quitting.
- Reward yourself - plan some treats with the money you save.