Green MEP advises holidays makers of their rights post-brexit
Think Before You Cook After A Night Out
More than half of accidental fires during the Christmas period are started in the kitchen making this a high risk area.
Devon & Somerset Fire & Rescue Service have produced an M&S inspired video highlighting the dangers of cooking whilst drunk.
This encourages people after having a few drinks to get a take away rather than cooking at home, when there is the risk of putting on a pan to cook and falling asleep.
A quarter of fatal fires throughout the year that we attend are caused by careless cooking, so having a takeaway becomes the sensible choice.
Top Tips There are several things you can do to prevent fires in the kitchen:
- Never leave cooking unattended - a moment?s distraction can lead to damage in your home to the value of thousands of pounds or in the worst case a tragedy
- Take pans off the heat or turn the heat down if you're called away from the cooker, e.g. by a phone call
- With all the Christmas celebrations avoid cooking after drinking alcohol or taken prescription drugs - you may get drowsy or lose concentration
- Take care if you?re wearing loose clothing as it can catch fire easily
- Turn saucepans so the handles don't stick out over the edge of the hob or over another ring
Plan your escape route
Make sure your family and visitors staying for the festive period know what to do in an emergency.
Make a fire escape plan and check everyone knows it.
Should a fire break out your family and friends need to be aware of the danger of toxic smoke, most people vastly underestimate it's deadly strength.
They overestimate how long they have to escape should a fire break out.
The reality is that just two to three breaths of smoke in a fire can render a person unconscious.
Ensure you have a working smoke alarm installed on all levels of your home.
Test your smoke alarms on a regular basis and never remove batteries to power presents!
This Christmas clean your smoke alarms so all your family and friends are safe.
Undercover officers on bicycles stop drivers passing too close
Six Devon firefighters are running to London, to raise money for the Grenfell tower firefighters
Trail running is the ideal way to clear the mind.
Recently Played Tracks
Now playing: The best feel good music
Deposit £10 to get a £40 Welcome Bonus - That's £50 to play bingo, slots and more!*
Over 50 tracks to make you feel-good. New album out now...
Find your local four day weather report here.
What's happening on the roads where you are?
Make Heart the soundtrack to your day and you could be a winner with great prizes up for grabs throughout the day.
Find out more about some of the companies advertising on Heart.