Funeral of Teenage Kent Soldier
The funeral of a Kent soldier who was killed in Afghanistan is taking place today (Friday) on the Isle of Sheppey.
Rifleman Daniel Holkham, 19, from 3rd Batallion The Rifles was killed in a suicide bomb attack in Sangin on the 27th March.
His two brothers, who serve in the same regiment, flew home from Afghanistan to be with their parents.
Lieutenant Colonel Nick Kitson, Commanding Officer, 3 RIFLES Battle Group, said:"Daniel Holkham was a model Rifleman; robust, bright and dedicated, he was everything a commander could hope for and more. Joining us a year before our build-up training for this deployment, he had ample opportunity to show that he had both quality and potential in abundance.
"There is no doubt that a bright future lay ahead of this young man and it is a tragedy that he has been robbed of the opportunity to fulfil it."
Today's funeral service will be held at All Saints Church in Eastchurch, from 11.30am the following roads will be closed:
- High Street will be closed eastbound close to Dicksons Walk
- Warden Road will be closed south of its junction with Plough Road, Diversions will be set up along Plough Road and Warden Road
- There will be a secondary road closure in place in Warden Road close to Eastchurch Primary school
- High Street will be closed to the east side of the pedestrian crossing
- Church Road will be closed just south of the war memorial
The roads are expected to re-open by 2pm.
Recently Played Tracks
Now playing: The best feel good music