Lost seafarers last resting place recognised 76 years later
Kent Police Make Huge Drug Seizure
Police in Kent have seized almost 2 tons of cannabis resin following an enquiry by officers from The Kent and Essex Serious Crime Directorate.
The drugs haul, which is said to be the largest seizure of cannabis resin in the Force's history, was found in specially constructed metal boxes which had been placed in a lorry. It is thought to have a street value of just under £5m.
On Friday, 8 March 2013, officers attended a farm in Sandy Lane, Ashford, and stopped a lorry which was hauling a 40ft refrigerated container. On searching the lorry officers found two bright blue metal boxes which contained a vast quantity of cannabis resin.
The driver was arrested and following on from this a two other men were also arrested.
The cannabis resin was seized and found to weigh a staggering 1.7 tons (1701 kg). It has an estimated street value of £4.9m.
The action followed on from the arrest of two men on Monday, 4 March in Paddock Wood after 200kg of the drug was seized.
Leading the investigation was Detective Chief Inspector Eddie Fox of the Kent and Essex Serious Crime Directorate who said: ?We have been successful in taking a staggering amount of illegal drugs off of the streets. This was a huge haul which will never make its way into circulation in the county.
"Our action to tackle drugs in Kent should send a warning message to people within organised criminal networks that we will leave no stone unturned to find them and put them before the court."
On Friday, 8 March 2013 police arrested:
- Hugh Webb (52) of Stanfield Gardens, Dagenham was charged with being concerned in the supply of cannabis resin.
- Michael Malone (46) of Rutland Road, Hove was charged with being concerned in the supply of cannabis resin.
- Martin Merritt (39) of Grosvenor Road, Dagenham was charged with being concerned in the supply of cannabis resin and possession of an offensive weapon.
On Monday, 4 March police arrested two men in Paddock Wood:
- Danny Malone (43) of Collier Street, Tonbridge was arrested and charged with conspiring to supply class B drugs.
- Marek Sieprawski (34) no address given was arrested and charged with conspiring to supply class B drugs.
Price Rise From Jan 2nd 2017
Road checks will take place across the county in the run up to Christmas.
Hot Meals To Be Given Out Over Next 13 Weeks
Recently Played Tracks
On Radio: Anna Johnson
1am - 6am
Deposit £10 to get a £40 Welcome Bonus - That's £50 to play bingo, slots and more!*
Over 50 tracks to make you feel-good. New album out now...
Find your local four day weather report here.
What's happening on the roads where you are?
Make Heart the soundtrack to your day and you could be a winner with great prizes up for grabs throughout the day.
Find out more about some of the companies advertising on Heart.
Get some great ideas on how to advertise your business on radio, online and on mobile.