On Air Now
Early Breakfast with Jenni Falconer 4am - 6am
Two men were jailed for over seven years today, Tuesday 20 August for the rape of a woman in Southwark in 2011.
20-year-old Mohammed Nur Isse of Lea Hall Road, Birmingham was jailed for six years with an extension of two years on license after pleading guilty to rape on 9 July, 2013 at Woolwich Crown Court.
Yahye Mohammed Mohamud, aged 23, of Wendover House, Therlow Street, Walworth SE17 was jailed for 15 months after pleading guilty to sexual assault and voyeurism on 10 July 2013 at Woolwich Crown court.
In the early hours of 5 May 2011 the victim was drinking at Mohamud's address and, while heavily intoxicated, was taken into the bedroom and raped or sexually assaulted by three men. Mohamud filmed the assaults.
The victim - a 19-year-old woman - had been too drunk to remember anything about the incidents. However, the footage taken by Mohamud was seen by a number of women later that day and the victim contacted police when she was became aware of it.
Detective Constable Ken Tran from the Met's Sexual Offences, Child Exploitation and Child abuse Command said:
"The road to justice in this particular case has been long and full of obstructions due to no fault of the victim. I am glad that despite the various delays, the victim has remained resolute and has ensured Isse and Mohamud received a lengthy term of imprisonment."
Detective Chief Inspector Pete Thomas from the Met's Sexual Offences, Child Exploitation and Child abuse Command said:
"Isse and Mohamud took advantage of an unconscious and vulnerable woman. They will now spend a lengthy time in prison. They have lost their liberty and will be monitored as sex offenders for the rest of their life. The victim was determined to see justice in this case and I urge others who have been victims to come forward and tell the police what has happened to them."
A third suspect remains outstanding. He is 20-year-old Mohamed Sadiq Hussein Hassan, who was last known to be living at Aylesford Road, Birmingham. He was arrested in connection with the incident, but failed to return on bail to a Birmingham police station on 23 December 2011. Enquiries continue to trace him.
Anyone who knows of his whereabouts should call detectives from the Specialist Crime & Operations Directorate on 020 8721 4607.