A Safe Halloween Across Norfolk & Suffolk
1 November 2011, 15:46
Police in Norfolk & Suffolk are pleased with the behaviour of the public who celebrated Halloween last night.
Additional officers were on the streets to ensure a safe Halloween for the people of Suffolk and Norfolk
Norfolk Chief Superintendent Tony Cherington said: "The evening passed without major incident and I would like to thank the county's trick or treaters for showing respect to those not taking part in the celebrations. Over the past three years we have worked with residents, partner agencies and local businesses to support vulnerable people over Halloween and pass on advice on enjoying the festivities safely."
Norfolk Police received 82 calls related to Halloween yesterday (31 October) the same number as in 2010 and less than in 2009 when 98 calls were received. Safer Neighbourhood Teams will again be out in their local communities for bonfire and firework celebrations over the coming week to ensure that this continues."
Of the 587 incidents called into the Constabulary's Force Operations Room (FOR) in Suffolk yesterday, Monday 31 October, 48 were specifically attributed to Halloween.
During the same period last year (31 October 2010) a total of 501 calls came into the FOR, 44 of which related to Halloween related incidents.
Suffolk Chief Inspector Mike Bacon who oversees the Force Operations Room said: "It seems the majority of people heeded our advice to enjoy themselves, respect others and stay safe during Halloween. Extra officers were on patrol to provide resilience and additional reassurance to the public and children who went trick-or-treating."
The incidents, which were connected to Halloween, consisted of low-level criminal damage and anti-social behaviour in general.