Black Velvet Alannah Myles
Due to the event there will be disruptions and long delays on the roads along and surrounding the route. Road closures will be in place to ensure the Torch can smoothly travel through our Borough.
The following roads will be closed from 2pm – 4pm and no parking will be permitted:
• Weldon Road (A427) – Junction of Lloyds Road to traffic light entrance of Tata Steel
• Junction of High Street to Weldon Road (A427)
• Junction of Oakley Road/High Street to The Jamb
• Juntion of The Jamb along High Street to Cottingham Road
• Bus Station Cottingham Road to mini roundabout (Junction of Elizabeth Street)
• Junction of Elizabeth Street to mini roundabout (Junction of Alexandra Road)
• Alexandra Road to George Street (mini roundabout)
• Junction of Anne Street to mini roundabout (Junction of Alexandra Road)
• Junction of Alexandra Road/George Street to Westcott Way (large roundabout)
• Junction of Gainsborough Road (Jubilee Avenue) to Westcott Way (large roundabout)
• Large roundabout on Westcott Way to roundabout on Cottingham Road (Boating Lake)
• Roundabout on Cottingham Road (Boating Lake) to Cottingham Road roundabout (BP Garage)
• Junction of Westcott Way/Boating Lake roundabout to entrance of Lakeside Complex
• Junction of Mantelfield Road (Beanfield estate) to junction of Cottingham Road
• Junction of Kingsthorpe Avenue to Cottingham Road
Please note that there is strictly no parking on any of these roads. Also from the junction of Willowbrook Road/Cottingham Road to Lakeside Complex will be used for access to the Lakeside Complex only.
Leader of Corby Borough Council, Cllr Tom Beattie, said: "It’s all go in Corby at the moment and the feeling of celebration is definitely evident throughout the Borough. The Queen’s visit was a phenomenal success and we are now putting plans in place to ensure that the Olympic Torch Relay through Corby follows suit. There are understandably going to be disruptions on the roads between 2pm – 4pm
but this is something that we wont have the chance to see again in Corby during our lifetime so we hope everyone comes out and gives the Torchbearers our full support."
Here are some interesting facts about the Olympic Torch through Corby.