Changes to rural bus services
Remote villages around Greater Peterborough will soon have to arrange in advance to get into the city by bus.
From April, Council subsidised bus-routes in rural areas are being replaced by a new dial-a-ride mini-bus, after funding was cut.
Teresa Wood is responsible for Transport on the Council and told Heart: "Call Connect services already run successfully in Lincolnshire and Northamptonshire and I am sure that it will work well in Peterborough.
"It will be useful for people in rural areas to get to other remote villages, to get to health services in Peterborough, or a day out shopping".
The service will operate from 7am - 7pm Monday to Saturday. Passengers will need to book by calling 01733 317 461 at least an hour in advance. The minibus will then pick up and set down customers at designated locations in each village or town.
Call Connect buses can be used by passengers who do not have access to a direct, frequent service - the main stops are in Apethorpe, Ashton, Burghley House, Edith Cavell Hospital, Fotheringhay, King's Cliffe, Marholm, Nassington, Newstead, Southorpe, Sutton, tallington, Tallington Lakes, Thornhaugh, Uffington, Uffod, Upton, West Deeping, Woodnewton, Wothorpe and Yarwell.
In Peterborough, they will be dropping people off and picking them up at the Queensgate Bus Station, the Railway Station, the Edith Cavell Hospital, District Hospital, Morrison's, Bretton Centre and Werrington Centre.
From today, residents in rural areas can find out more about the service, "Call Connect" at a series of roadshows.
• 22 March 2010 from 10am to 11am - bus shelter on Glinton Road, near Church Lane, Helpston
• 22 March 2010 from 11.30am to 12.30pm - bus shelter on Stamford Road, near Woodcroft Road, Marholm
• 22 March 2010 from 1.30pm to 2.30pm - bus shelter on Peterborough Road, Castor (opposite the village hall)
• 22 March 2010 from 3pm to 4pm - bus shelter on Peterborough Road, near Main Street, Ailsworth
• 23 March 2010 from 10am to 11am - bus shelter on Bainton Road, adjacent to Jack Haws Lane, Barnack
• 23 March 2010 from 11.30am to 12.30pm - bus shelter on Barnack Road, Bainton (opposite St Mary's Church)
• 23 March 2010 from 1.30pm to 2.30pm - bus shelter near the White Hart Inn, on Main Street, Ufford
• 23 March 2010 from 3pm to 3.30pm - bus shelter on Church Walk, Upton
• 23 March 2010 from 3.45pm to 4.15pm - crossroads near Manor Farm, Sutton
• 24 March 2010 from 10am to 10.30am - Main Street, Southorpe (adjacent to phone box)
• 24 March 2010 from 10.45am to 11.45am - bus shelter on Old North Road, Wansford
• 24 March 2010 from 12 noon to 12.30pm - Russell Hill, Thornhaugh (adjacent to village green)
• 24 March 2010 from 1.15pm to 1.45pm - bus shelter on St George's Road, Wittering (opposite Spar shop)
• 24 March 2010 from 2pm to 2.30pm - Townsend Road, Wittering (adjacent to the Post Office)
• 24 March 2010 from 3pm to 3.30pm - bus shelter on Kettering Road, near Second Drift, Wothorpe
• 24 March 2010 from 3.45pm to 4.15pm - London Road, St Martin's Without (near golf course)
The Call Connect service can be used by passengers who do not have a direct, frequent service available to them.
The service will launch on Tuesday 6 April 2010, and will operate between 7am and 7pm from Monday to Saturday.
More details at www.wellandcallconnect.co.uk , or by calling 0845 263 8153
Recently Played Tracks
Now playing: Non-stop hit music
Now playing: Non-stop hit music