Red Jet 7 will be built at East Cowes, securing 85 jobs there - and will join the fleet next summer.
Foreign Drivers Escaping Speeding Fines In Hampshire
Figures show hundreds of foreign drivers have been snapped by speed cameras on the South Coast - but never fined.
Leading road safety charity the Institute of Advanced Motorists (IAM) has revealed 994 have been caught in Hampshire since January last year. The highest speed recorded was 100mph in a 70 limit on the A31.
The figures were revealed following a freedom of information request to police authorities, which asked how many oversees motorists had been caught by speed cameras across England and Wales. As foreign vehicles are not registered with the DVLA these speeding offences are not pursued.
Dorset Police did not provide figures.
The highest number of oversees speeding offences were:
- Thames Valley, with a reported 3,580 offences and the highest speed recording of 102mph in a 70mph zone
- Merseyside, with a reported 2,477 offences and the highest speed recording of 87mph in a 70mph zone
- Warwickshire, with a reported 2,152 offences - no highest speed recorded
- Gwent, with a reported 2,090 offences and the highest speed recording of 99mph in a 70mph zone
- Kent, with a reported 1,954 offences and the highest speed recording of 111mph in a 70mph zone
The Metropolitan Police that covers 32 London boroughs followed in at sixth position with a recorded number of 1,586 offences taking place across the Greater London area, with a high speed recording of 98mph on the A406 North Circular Road, southbound - a 50mph zone.
The top recorded speeds came in from:
- Kent on the M25 with the highest speed of 111mph in a 70mph zone
- Surrey on the A3 Hook Road with the highest speed of 109mph in a 50mph zone
- Thames Valley, leading to Aston Clinton with the highest speed of 102mph in a 70mph zone
- Hampshire with the highest speed of 100mph on the A31 in a 70mph zone
- Gwent with the highest speed of 99mph also in a 70mph zone
IAM's director of policy and research, Neil Greig said:
"The high numbers of oversees speeders on our roads show how important it is that the UK joins up with the rest of Europe to harmonise motoring offences and give the police extra powers to pursue dangerous drivers.
"Progress on this issue has been very slow and in the meantime thousands of drivers are avoiding fines and bans simply because their cars cannot be easily traced."
Five men have been questioned after shots were heard in Wimborne Road.
24-Year-Old Nikki Henderson Become The Youngest Ever Skipper Of A Clipper Round The World Yacht
18-Year-Old Found Injured In Old Christchurch Road On Friday Morning.
Recently Played Tracks
On Radio: Rich and Zoe
6am - 10am
Text 'SOUTH' to 82122
Now playing: The best feel good music
Deposit £10 to get a £40 Welcome Bonus - That's £50 to play bingo, slots and more!*
Over 50 tracks to make you feel-good. New album out now...
Find your local four day weather report here.
What's happening on the roads where you are?
Make Heart the soundtrack to your day and you could be a winner with great prizes up for grabs throughout the day.
Find out more about some of the companies advertising on Heart.
Get some great ideas on how to advertise your business on radio, online and on mobile.