On Air Now
Heart Breakfast with Jamie Theakston and Amanda Holden 6:30am - 10am
21 August 2013, 14:19 | Updated: 21 August 2013, 14:33
Tests are being carried out to see whether the death of a 20-year old girl while on holiday in North Devon was caused by Carbon Monoxide poisoning.
20-year old Bethan O'Brien, from Andover in Hampshire, was staying with two friends while on a surfing trip.
Her two male friends called an ambulance at 6.27am on Sunday when they woke feeling unwell and discovered Ms O'Brien was unconscious.
Five ambulances rushed to the camp site where the group were staying in Braunton and found Ms O'Brien not breathing.
Paramedics performed CPR but Ms O'Brien sadly suffered a cardiac arrest and died at the scene.
Tests are being carried out to ascertain whether the death was due to carbon monoxide poisoning.
A spokeswoman for Devon and Cornwall Police said: "We were called to a campsite in Saunton Road in Braunton after a 20-year-old woman from Hampshire died.
"Police are not treating the death as suspicious.
"A post-mortem will be carried out to establish a cause of death.''
Ms O'Brien's two friends who were also sleeping in the tent were taken to North Devon District Hospital to be checked over.
Tributes to Ms O'Brien have flooded in on social networking sites, with friends describing her as a "sweet'' and "lovely person''.
Graham Mckenzie wrote: "R.I.P. Bethan O'Brien.. In serious shock as I'm sure most people are.
"One of the nicest girls I have ever met, 20 is far too young.
Can honestly say there isn't a bad word you could say about her, and she will be missed by everyone who knew her.''
Another friend, Simon Renfrey added: "Such a shock. So sad to find out one of the nicest and kindest people you'll ever meet has gone so young sleep tight Bethan O'Brien.''