Bristol: Rovers Relegated After 94 Years

4 May 2014, 07:26 | Updated: 4 May 2014, 07:39

Bristol Rovers fans were left in stunned silence for a few seconds after the final whistle went at the Memorial Stadium after a game which condemned to relegation from The Football League.

Rovers went into the game at The Memorial Stadium knowing they just needed a point against Mansfield to stay up - but they lost 0-1.

That, and other results, have seen them relegated from The Football League for the first time in 94 years.

Some fans went onto the pitch at the end of the game. Both before and after the match Avon and Somerset Police say there was some disorder - although they say the majority of fans were well behaved.
Police commander Supt Kevin Instance said: "There were small pockets of disorder before the match and a police horse was punched during one of these incidents.

"At the end of the game, feelings were running high because of the disappointing result and unfortunately a number of fans went onto the pitch. Some of these people were intent on engaging in acts of significant violence.

"Mounted officers were swiftly deployed to keep rival fans apart and disperse the crowds safely. Although the majority of fans were well-behaved, there were six arrests made for public order offences and assaults. There are likely to be more arrests as our enquiries continue.

“Three police officers were injured during the disorder although thankfully their injuries are not serious.

"We simply will not tolerate any form of anti-social behaviour or violence and we are committed to bringing offenders to justice using CCTV evidence, as well as other intelligence and information gathered during the policing operation.

"Successful convictions are likely to lead to football banning orders, which will prevent those convicted from being able to attend games or follow the national side abroad. Those who are intent on causing trouble, no matter what the circumstances are, should remember they are not anonymous and they will face serious consequences for their actions.”

After the match Rovers manager Darrell Clarke was visibly upset and speaking to the media he apologised to fans:

"Words cannot describe how I feel, I am devastated and I apologise to the supporters. I take responsibility; I picked the team for the last eight games, and didn’t get the points required. I am not going to look for excuses, it is a 46 game season, and we have not done enough. We had a lot of chances today, but we did not take any of them.

"The supporters are devastated and I can only apologise, my heart goes out to them.”
But Mr Clarke went on to say his players need to ask themselves some key questions:
"The players have to look at themselves as individuals and ask if they have done enough. Have they lived their lives right, have they given everything in every match they have played this season. I think there are some lads in the changing room who have done that, but you get relegated because there are quite a lot of lads in there who haven’t as well."