Cambridge: Teen Guilty Of Murder

10 February 2012, 14:39 | Updated: 10 February 2012, 16:44

A teenager has been found guilty of murdering a homeless man who was found dead in the River Cam in Cambridge.

The body of 53 year old Raymond Boyle [pictured - right] was found in water near Jesus Green in the early hours of the 22nd of June last year.

18 year old Jack Robinson [pictured - below] was today (Friday) found guilty of murdering Mr Boyle by a jury at Cambridge Crown Court.

Co-defendent, 18 year old Daniel Mynott, who was charged with GBH and GBH with intent, has been cleared of all charges relating to the incident.

Mr Boyle was attacked by Robinson as he sat on a bench.

According to Cambridgeshire Police, Robinson stamped on Mr Boyle's head before dumping his body in the River Cam.

Robinson then walked back to his friend Daniel Mynott's house in Haviland Way in Cambridge, discarding his jumper on the way.

Robinson is also believed to have changed the shoe laces in his trainers after becoming concerned that forensics from them may link him to the murder.

After being arrested, Robinson was charged with murder, while Mr Mynott, who claimed Robinson was solely responsible for attacking Mr Boyle, faced a charge of grievous bodily harm with intent. 

Jack Robinson

Both denied the charges but Robinson was convicted following a two-week trial, while Mr Mynott was cleared.

During the trial, CCTV images were shown of Mr Boyle walking through Cambridge before crossing Magdalene Bridge towards Jesus Green at 12.33am on the 22nd June last year.

It was the last time he was seen alive. 

Raymond Boyle CCTV

An hour later, Robinson and Mr Mynott were captured on the same camera.

Spots of Mr Boyle's blood were discovered on one of Mr Mynott's trainers, his jacket and jeans. 

Mr Mynott said he tried to stop his friend from attacking the victim.

Blood was also found on Robinson's trainers.

Robinson will be sentenced in three weeks.

Detective Chief Inspector George Barr, who led the investigation for Cambridgeshire Police, said: "This was a savage, unprovoked attack on a defenceless man.

Robinson was involved in the attack which had been fuelled by alcohol, and was seen kicking and stamping on Mr Boyle while he lay on the floor.

That assault was bad enough, but for Robinson to drag him, barely conscious, into the water where he stood no chance of survival, was sickening.

While nothing can stop the hurt felt by Mr Boyle's family, I hope today's conviction will bring them some comfort as they look to re-build their lives without him."

Raymond Boyle - Family Statement.

The following is a statement from Raymond Boyle's partner of 22 years, Carole, and Raymond's eldest daughter Toni. 

Both Raymond and Carole each had two children from previous relationships and one daughter together.

Ray was a successful man, working hard over the years at a printing firm in Rochdale, Lancashire, being promoted to supervisor.

His home was in Lancashire and he spent a lot of time and effort building and decorating, ensuring it was fit for his family.

In his spare time he enjoyed fishing.

Raymond Boyle

His only demon was drink; which stemmed from a difficult childhood. 

There were long periods where Ray was recovering but would turn to drink when he was under pressure. 

He was never violent but when he had a relapse, he would leave home and stay with friends until he had recovered and could return to his family.

On two occasions he found himself living on the streets for a short time as a result of his drinking. Sadly, the second time ended with his brutal and untimely death.

Ray was a kind and considerate man whose main focus was his family and partner Carole. Even when apart from his family he would send cards to Carole remembering anniversaries or Valentine's Day.

He was a father to three girls and a proud grandfather, but never got the chance to meet his third grandchild who was born last month.

He was deeply loved by everyone who was part of his life and will be greatly missed by all his family and friends."