Harston: Acid On A10

2 July 2013, 10:07 | Updated: 2 July 2013, 11:39

Drivers who use the A10 at Harston are being warned about acid that was found leaking onto the road, which could eat through paintwork.

Fire crews were called at 7.25am today (Tuesday), by a member of the public, after they spotted a burst petrol can on the side of the road, with a strange substance leaking out of it.
Firefighters arrived and tested the substance and determined that it was a small amount of concentrated acid, but they don't know where the container came from.
Crews used absorbant granules to try and soak up the liquid, which had already started to eat through the tarmac.

They then left the incident in the hands of the Police and contacted the Environment Agency and the Highways Agency to make the road safe.
Bruce Parcell, Station Commander for Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service said: "If anyone has driven through this liquid, they may have small quantities of the acid on their car.
We would advise motorists to put on some robust gloves and spray their car with water and detergent to try and remove the residue. 

Otherwise it could start to eat away at the paintwork of their vehicle.
Motorists should take care not to get the residue on their hands, as it could start burning. If this happens, they should seek medical attention or contact the NHS on 111."