On Air Now
Heart's Feel Good Weekend with Lilah Parsons 10pm - 1am
23 April 2013, 13:36 | Updated: 23 April 2013, 15:02
A mum whose son died of meningitis days before his wedding has launched an awareness drive in St Austell so no others lose a loved one to the devastating disease.
38 year old Shane White, was two weeks away from marrying Kerran Parish when he fell victim to the deadly disease on Saturday, March 31, last year.
The Lostwithiel resident complained of a stomach ache and sore throat for a couple of days beforehand. Shane went to the doctors on Friday, March 30, for his vaccinations for his honeymoon, but the nurse refused to administer them as she feared he had a virus.
But at home, Shane, who was manager at Bodmin-based food company Tulip Foods for 16 years, became disorientated in the evening and his condition deteriorated quickly. He was unable to communicate with paramedics and was rushed to Derriford Hospital in Plymouth at around midnight.
Sadly, Shane, a former Lostwithiel Primary School and Fowey Community College student, died just eight hours later in the morning.
Since his death, the family have become devoted to wiping out the disease, to spare others the pain of losing a loved one or watching them suffer side-effects due to meningitis.
The family, driven by mum Ros, of St Blazey, Par, and friends began a fundraising campaign for Meningitis UK.
Heart's Karly Wilson spoke to her at the launch of a week long awareness camapign in St Austell. Click Here