Rhybudd barbeciw

Tân yn Nefyn cael ei achosi gan farworyn

Two fire appliances from Nefyn and Pwllheli were called out to the fire at a house between Nefyn and Morfa Nefyn at 16.23hrs on Friday 4 June. Firefighters used a hose reel jet and two sets of breathing apparatus to extinguish the flames.

Huw Roberts from North Wales Fire and Rescue Service said: "The embers from a barbeque had been placed in a wheelie bin before they had cooled down properly. The bin consequently ignited and, as it was stored close to a central heating oil tank, the fire spread, causing a vapour explosion and a running liquid fire which then spread to the house and car.

"It just goes to show how careful you need to be when discarding of barbeque embers – the incident destroyed property and possessions but it could easily have been worse and led to injury and the loss of life.

"During a the summer months, grass and vegetation is generally dry, which means if you accidentally start a fire outdoors it will spread very quickly, destroying everything in its path. Add a light summer breeze to the equation and the fire will spread even more rapidly.

"A barbecue could easily start a fire that could destroy your garden, spread to your house and endanger the lives of those inside.

"A few simple precautions and a little extra care could keep you safer and prevent most of these types of fires.

"Please follow our simple summer barbeque safety advice while you have fun in the sun this summer."

Make sure that your barbeque is in good working order.Keep a bucket of water, a bucket of sand or a garden hose nearby in case of emergencies.Make sure that your barbeque site is flat and well away from buildings, fences, trees and shrubs.Use only enough charcoal to cover the base of the barbeque to a depth of about 50mm (two inches).Keep children, garden games and pets well away from the cooking area.Do not drink and cook.

When you've finished cooking, make sure the barbeque is cold before trying to move it. Empty ashes onto bare garden soil.

Never leave the barbeque unattended.

Never put ashes straight into a dustbin or wheelie bin. If they're hot, they can melt the plastic and cause a fire.

With gas barbeques - make sure the tap is turned off before changing the gas cylinder. Change gas cylinders in the open air if possible or open doors and windows to provide good ventilation.When you've finished cooking, turn off the gas cylinder before you turn off the barbeque controls, to ensure any gas in the pipeline is used up.