On Air Now
Heart's Feel Good Weekend with Zoe Hardman 9am - 12pm
Bournemouth Council will this week (Starting Monday 16th January) begin the process of choosing an artist to create the memorial to Red Arrows pilot Jon Egging.
Jon died on the 29th August 2011 when his jet came down after performing at the Bournemouth Air Festival.
The council now has £8,500 to create something to remember him by in the town. It's already been decided that it'll be built near the East Cliff lift, overlooking the sea.
It also overlooks the site for the annual Bournemouth Air Festival and was chosen by Jon Egging's widow with the assistance of Bournemouth Borough Council.
Close by is an existing plaque commemorating a Spitfire pilot killed in an air accident over the bay in 1947.
The green space site for the memorial is managed by Bournemouth Borough Council's Parks Department.
The family have also asked local school children to come up with design ideas for the memorial- they have untill the 13th February to submit them before the competition closes.
The permanent Memorial Artwork must:
- Be constructed to withstand a harsh marine environment - including saline atmosphere and high winds
- Have a minimum lifespan of 20 years - preferably longer
- Be easy to maintain, minimise vandalism, and enable easy removal of graffiti
- Have a minimal pollution impact in both the immediate and wider vicinity.
- Be designed, manufactured and installed using sustainable materials, processes and techniques wherever possible.
- Not cause an unnecessary safety distraction / hazard to passing motorists
- Be designed & constructed with regard and sensitivity to the character and appearance of the surrounding East Cliff Conservation Area, in line with the 2 policies contained in the adopted District Wide Local Plan 2002 and the forthcoming Borough Wide Core Strategy, known as the Bournemouth Plan.
The final memorial will be finished before this years Air Festival in August 2012.
JON EGGING MEMORIAL PROJECT PANEL
The panel will consist of:
Emma Egging - Widow of Jon Egging
Dawn Egging - Mother of Jon Egging
Dave Davies - Red Arrows Pilot (Red Eight)
Carol Maund - Arts Development Officer, Bournemouth Borough Council
Louisa Clark - WAVE Arts Education Agency
Andrew Emery - Service Development Manager, Bournemouth Seafront
Georgia Turner - Corporate Communications Manager, Bournemouth Borough Council
Responses to requests for further information or clarification will be posted on the Council's website at www.bournemouth.gov.uk/joneggingmemorial . Please check for regular updates.