Bournemouth Mum Died From Cannabis Poisoning

31 January 2014, 11:00 | Updated: 31 January 2014, 13:09

It's thought a mum-of-three from Bournemouth has become the first woman in the country to die from cannabis poisoning.

An inquest heard 31-year-old Gemma Moss from Boscombe collapsed in her bedroom after smoking a cannabis cigarette last October.

Her mother told the hearing she used the drug to help her sleep.

A coroner recorded a verdict of death by cannabis abuse.

David Raynes, of the National Drug Prevention Alliance, said:

"It is extremely rare and unusual for a coroner to rule death from cannabis abuse.

"In 40 years I have never come across deaths from cannabis alone. There have been cases where it has been combined with other drugs or alcohol.

"It has often been said that cannabis doesn’t cause death. Users usually pass out before they can take enough cannabis to kill them.

"This case serves as a warning that cannabis can cause immense harm."