New 101 Number For Non Emergencies

From Monday, 19 September 2011, the telephone number to dial to contact the police in Dorset for non-emergencies will be 101.

The new 101 non-emergency number will go live across all of the police forces in the south west on this date – and 101 will be available across all areas of England and Wales by the end of January 2012.

Chief Superintendent Colin Searle, Communications and Contact Services Commander, said:

"The new 101 police non-emergency telephone number is easy to remember and will be live across the whole country early next year.

"The public should call 101 to report crime, to contact their local Safer Neighbourhood Team, to provide us with information about crimes that have been committed or to make a general enquiry."

For example, call 101:

-to give the police information about crime in your area
-to speak to the police about a general enquiry
-if your car has been stolen
-if your property has been damaged
-if you suspect drug use or dealing in your local area
-to report a minor traffic accident

Calls to the 101 non-emergency number – from both landlines and mobiles – cost 15 pence per call no matter what time of day you call, or how long you are on the phone.

If you have a speech or hearing impairment, you can textphone 18001 101 from Monday, 19 September 2011.

The 01202 / 01305 222 222 non-emergency number will remain in use for members of the public that need to contact Dorset Police from outside of the county.

In an emergency – when a crime is in progress or life is at risk – you should always dial 999.

More details about the 101 non-emergency number can be found on the Dorset Police website, visit