No Prosecution For Man Who Rammed Bournemouth Shop Window

23 October 2014, 08:28 | Updated: 23 October 2014, 08:32

A teenager who repeatedly punched and kicked a shop window in Bournemouth before ramming a ladder against the glass will escape prosecution.

The 19-year-old was caught on CCTV at LetDirect earlier this month, when he was seen to attack the window.

The man, believed to be a soldier from Salisbury, initially throws punches and kicks out at the large shop front.

He walks away from the premises on Old Christchurch Road and returns with a step ladder, which he swings and shunts at the window.

But police said it was agreed with the victim that the suspect, who was wearing a T-shirt and jeans, should receive a community resolution due to a mix-up.

A police spokesman said:

``Dorset Police were called at 5.17am on Thursday October 9 2014 to reports of criminal damage at an address in Old Christchurch Road in Bournemouth.

``A 19-year-old man was arrested.

``He accepted liability and offered to reimburse the victim for the cost of the window.

``The victim provided an estimate of the repair cost and agreed to deal with the matter by way of community resolution.

``It has since transpired the victim owned another property which had also been damaged in an unconnected incident.

``He mistakenly provided a quote for this damage rather than the address in Old Christchurch Road.

``The investigating officer was unaware the victim had suffered from two identical crimes at a similar time.

``This appears to have led to confusion as to the full cost of the damage for the Old Christchurch Road incident.

``Dorset Police has since made contact with the victim of the crime and is currently reviewing this case.

``Should any service failures be identified, these will be remedied.''

The window cost more than £1,000 to replace.

Shop owner Ersan Turay said: ``The police have made a mistake.

``People make mistakes - but they need to be put right.

``This is an injustice.

``I went to the station and showed them the CCTV and they saw the damage he did - but they just said it was over and there is nothing more that can be done.''

Mr Turay said he had since been told by police that he would be reimbursed for the cost of the damage.